April To-Do List for Zone 6
- Clean up the garden in preparation for the season ahead: Remove last year’s dead plants, rake back winter
- mulches, and top-dress beds with compost.
- After you’ve finished preparing your beds, plant potatoes, peas, spinach, and other leafy greens as well as beets, turnips, and carrots.
- Put up a trellis for tall varieties of peas as soon as they sprout.
- Dig, divide, and replant perennials, such as helenium, fall asters, Shasta daisies, chrysanthemums, and phlox.
- As soon as the weather settles, plant transplants of pansies, forget-me-nots (Myosotis spp.), foxglove (Digitalis spp.), and other cool-weather flowers.
- Sow seeds of sweet peas, bachelor’s buttons (Centaurea cyanus), and larkspur (Consolida ajacis) in flowerbeds.